Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Randomness...


I just finished taking my final exam for my Contemporary Funeral Practices class.  I got a 94. Not too shabby if I say so myself.  I decided to give my brain a rest and blog for a bit before I have to put my head back in the books to study for History of Funeral Directing.  Sheesh!  At least I'll be done with school in roughly a year.  As the semester ends, it feels as though it just started so perhaps it won't seem so long before I'm done.  In fact it still feels like we just moved to Childress even though we've been here since August.  Time just goes by faster each year.

Lately I've been keeping myself busy with school, remodeling our house, and working.  I haven't had much life outside of those things, but I try to read everyday (besides school books).  I love to read.  I've been hitting the Ted Dekker books pretty hard lately.  I think I've read about 9 or so books since September, but yesterday I picked up a publication sent to me by the Alliance Defense Fund.  They are a group that provides legal defense to Christians.  They defend cases that deal with the issues of religious freedom, the sanctity of human life, and protecting family values.  The article I read had to do with a lawsuit against a school in Mount Juliet, a suburb of Nashville.  The suit was filed by the "most dangerous people in America"; the dreaded ACLU.  
It seems that an organization of parents were in the spotlight.  The Praying Parents met at the school's cafeteria in the mornings to pray for students, teachers and many other issues that plague our world today.  They would receive prayer requests from teachers and students alike and would quietly pray together while classes were being held.  There is no law that keeps parent or student led ministries from praying.  Prayer just can't be conducted by school personnel.  Well, of course the ACLU sees things differently.  They want freedom FROM religion, not freedom OF religion.  

The ACLU, which has a nearly limitless supply of funding was seeking to accomplish five objectives in this suit.  "One: to get rid of the National Day of Prayer, Two: to disallow "See you at the Pole" from happening on school grounds, Three: to keep the Praying Parents from meeting on school campus, Four: to change Thanksgiving completely- you could teach about Thanksgiving, but in your teaching could never mention God or prayer, which is critical to the whole historical meaning of the holiday. Five: as far as a Christmas program, it had to be entirely secular- no Christian reference whatsoever."  

Miraculously, the Alliance Defense Fund, stepped in and offered free legal counsel to those involved.  The school would not have had a chance otherwise.  On each of these five counts, the ACLU lost!  Most Christians never even knew how close we were to losing our sacred freedoms that our forefathers worked so hard to provide for us.  It scares me to think that this stuff is even an issue.  The Bible tells us that Christians will be persecuted and this is one of many perfect examples.  After reading this and other articles like it, I have decided to donate to the ADF.  This is the only way they are funded and able to provide these amazing services.  They are the only ones big enough to stand up against the ACLU.  I thank God there are still lawyers and people with heart to provide this kind of counsel.  The ACLU wants to remove God from everything in this country and I'm not going to stand for it.  
I refuse to bend when the majority of our country still professes to be Christian.  I don't see how we just sit back and let the minority win us over.  It's disgusting and obscene.  Apathy is killing the Body of Christ!  Of course God saw this coming a long time ago, which is why one of the major recurring themes in the Bible is to warn us about standing firm and "fighting the good fight".  It's only going to get worse folks, so strap in, gear up, and start praying.  It's the only hope we've got.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Glad to see you on blogger!! Am I your first ever comment?? How fun!! Can't wait to read and see what you guys are up to! Had a great time visiting the other night. Cya soon!

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

welcome to the blogger world!!! love your blog!!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I didn't even know you were a blogger! Yay! Welcome and beware! LOL!

Karin said...

Thanks for the welcome guys. I was leery about blogging at first but I figured it would be a fun way to get to know people better.

Marci said...

I'm glad your test went well. Good luck on your other one!

Sharon said...

What a great blog! Glad to see you on hear and I look forward to reading your point of view!!! Found any hidden treasures this week?